I can feel you all around me, thickening the air I'm breathing, holding on to what I'm feeling, savoring this heart that's healing...

Friday, August 1, 2008

Finding God in the Everyday: Of Toes & Dust

Sunshine beckons. Caffeine calls. "Coffee first," I think. Isn't it funny how God can be found in the mundane? Thank you, Jesus, for cream and sugar. Right foot. Left foot. Coffee cup. Front porch. Rocking chair. First sip, then leaning back, I take a seat in the presence of cricket, birch tree, dust, and God.

How much like the dust I am. Like the dust, I am small, seemingly insignificant, but somehow recognized. Yet unlike the dust, I am welcome to be present, not swept and discarded by an impatient Hand off the Glory Seat of heaven.

Second sip. Drawing knees to chest, I am humbled by the wind in the trees and the streaks of sunshine dancing across my toes. Toes. What a funny thing. They look funny. They sometimes even smell funny. I am, actually, embarrassed by my toes. But sometimes, it's the smallest things that make the greatest impact. Without toes, we wouldn't be able to walk. They give us balance.

Am I more like a toe or the dust? Sometimes I feel like the dust--small. Insignificant. Sometimes I feel like a toe--ugly. A cause for embarrassment. But God is teaching me to be happy in my dusty, toe-like self...completely welcome and loved, and important to the Kingdom.

Third sip. Toes and dust. Who would have thought.

0 comments: