I can feel you all around me, thickening the air I'm breathing, holding on to what I'm feeling, savoring this heart that's healing...

Friday, February 5, 2010

check [yes] or [no]

Greeting: Hello 2010.

I know its a month late, but up until now, you haven't seemed too different from 2009.

Oh well. Hello anyways.

Moving on.

So a couple days ago I received a piece of mail from my mom that contained a page of info from David Wilkerson's newsletter about a place called Mount Zion International School of Ministry. My mom said that the Lord "prompted her to send this to me," and that I should do a bit of research and pray about it. Initially I was reluctant as I really have no desire to move again, but figured I should pray about it anyways. I really kind of want to just put down roots and grow where I am now; I have a great church, a great college ministry I'm plugged into, great friends, 2 jobs, etc....and I'm at that place now where I'm starting to feel like its time for me to start to settle down somewhat.

But then again, I never really wanted to move to Ohio in the first place.

So today I did some research on MZISoM, thought I'd give it a chance, but OH! dear.

The place sounds like a cult.

Not really, but it sounds like a serious Jesus bubble.

No cell phones. No computers. No cars. No dating. No seeing family except for immediate family weddings or family emergencies. Extensive dress code (skirts, blouses buttoned to the top, shirts that cover the hips to mid thigh, no sneakers, etc.) No shopping except once a month outings with the rest of the school. No jobs. No leaving the premises. KJV Bibles. (blech!!)

And that's just the beginning of it.

It sounds like Teen Missions' Boot Camp. Except of instead of being 3 months long, it's 3 years long.

Now don't get me wrong, I loved TMI. I would do it again in a heartbeat. But there's a big difference between 3 months and 3 years.

MZISoM says that they only take between 135-150 students a year to maintain the "family" atmosphere, but I seriously wonder if that's true or if that's just the amount of applications they receive.

Because it doesn't sound like a place that many students would want to attend.

Okay, so I'm making it sound like all thistles and thorns, but there is one good thing about it. The cost of tuition for the first year is only $2450.

I honestly want to just throw this thing out the window and be all "forget this God, whatever" but the thing about him prompting my mom to send it is stopping me in my tracks.

What if this is really what the Lord wants me to do? What if he is calling me to give up this freedom that I've come to enjoy and die to myself and my desires?

Damnit. Not again!

I hate this....I hate the fact that I can't just hate this thing and forget about it. I hate the fact that I can't do whatever I want and it be okay. This might be blasphemous, but sometimes I hate the fact that I answer to higher dude and it's my calling to do whatever the Dude wants me to.

No yes' or no's at this point, just a lot of maybes.

Did I mention I hate the word maybe?


1 comments:

Joe Holda said...

Just my .02 here - since you are about to finish VLI (a somewhat non-accredited school), why would you want to repeat the entire thing at a fully non-accredited school? If you are going to continue your schooling, why don't you take what you have and apply somewhere like VBI / St Stephens, or Fuller or something so that you don't throw the last 2 years down the drain? I know that your mom is impressed with David Wilkerson but it seems to me like you would be adding another 3 years for nothing.

I took a brief look at what the alumni are doing and you could do most of what they are doing with your VLI diploma. If you feel you need a degree, VBI will take the 2 years and apply it towards a BS at St Stephens.

Mt Zion would have made sense instead of VLI - but to do it after VLI seems redundant.

Just me thoughts. I would be willing to chat with you about this if you like. Let me know.