I can feel you all around me, thickening the air I'm breathing, holding on to what I'm feeling, savoring this heart that's healing...

Monday, March 2, 2009

in like a lion and out like...?

It is said that March "comes in like a lion and out like a lamb."

Man, I sure do hope they're right.

March has definitely made its entrance like a lion, and I've never been more scared in my life. And no, I'm not talking about the weather (although the weather has been crazy as of late).

I feel like I am walking on ice. or banana peels. or an oil slick. or something just as equally slippery.

I am running out of money.

Three years ago when I graduated from high school, I had $13,000 in the bank. Then over the course of two years by paying for college completely out of my pocket, my account went to $8,000. That's how much I moved here to Ohio on. $8,000. Now, 8 months later, I have a little over $3,000 left.

Bills continue to come in, school continues to be needed to be paid for, gas continues to be needed to be bought, and now my brakes on my car have gotten so bad that they absolutely need to be fixed.

I am not sure what to do.

I am not sure how long I can continue to live here on $3,000.

I have searched for another job.

I continue to search for another job.

[my hands have come up empty].

I have begged and pleaded with my boss to give me more hours, but it all has seemed to have fallen on deaf ears [all they've done is cut my hours further].

Yes, I am thankful to even have a job [the unemployment rate in Ohio is 8% and rising]...

but my fear is starting to get the better of me.

I know that God has promised in his word to take care of me, and lately the only passage that has gotten me through the day is Matthew 6:25-34...

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

But gosh darn it, I'm worrying about tomorrow!

Faith is such a hard thing to learn.

The one thing that's really bothering me though is my giving to the church.

A couple months ago, my mom and I had a talk about tithing and she said that I need to be giving, regardless of how I am doing financially. I agreed, and she said that I shouldn't worry about giving 10% right off the bat, but instead start with 5% and work upwards from there as I make more.

So I have been trying to give 5% and last week I gave $20 to the church (5% of two paychecks) but it was so darn scary! I'm really trying to hold my money in an open hand, I mean, it's all God's anyways, right?, but trusting that God will bless me back in return is the hard part.

God, can I get some help down here?
Some help would be really really nice...

0 comments: